What's new

Car damages

So I do have a concern in which I want to talk about. I wonder how car damages would be roleplayed because on some other servers you can smash an entire car up and even slash its tires. However, a few minutes later you see the same car driving around just fine as if nothing happened. This also applies to car accidents as well. I wonder if there should be a system of some sort that can be applied to make car damages a thing in the server.

Aquila

Ad Supporter
Depends on the sync.

One problem I can see from heavy RP aspect on car damage is that some people (often the egotistic type) may start overly serious fights over an accidental scratch on their car or something.

Bozo

Firestarter
Management
Illegal
Ad Supporter
I know one of the things we were working on with the Rage MP (/me spits on the ground) server wqas persistent vehicle states so that you couldn't just respawn a vehicle to repair it. As @Aquila mentioned, the sync was a concern and the client didn't provide a sync that really facilitated it. It was still "on the list", though; we hoped we might be able to work it out and were prepping for the possibility/eventuality that we could.

Right now, it's looking entirely different, in a good way, with Alt-V. But we need to take a bunch of things into account before we start sticking people with persistent damage.

I should say, up front, that I'd love to see it in the game on our server but it has to be done right. I can drive a REAL car for YEARS without any sort of damage to my car. It's not that easy in the game. Lag's a minor and intermittent factor but the controller is likely more the cause. I wouldn't want to drive a real car with an Xbox controller!!! I have a steering wheel with a gas/brake/clutch pedal set up but, afaik, it doesn't work with GTA5.

I'm pretty sure we'd all like whatever gets worked into the server to be fun, first and foremost. If you're frustratedly dropping a few hundred bucks on repairs each week, the fun factor is going to be impacted pretty heavily, IMO. I think the simplest solution is to allow minor damage to be taken care of by respawns since they're the most likely to be caused by game weirdness. Moderate or serious damage, particularly the kind of damage that happens in a single event (a collision or whatever) would be persistent. How's something like that sound?

Could we add a system where an admin can add damage to a car? The main reason I can see for wanting this from the original post is intentional damage. for example slashing someones tires, or putting a bat through a windshield to send a message or piss someone off.

It seems to me that in this situation the best way to go about this, And the best way ive seen it done, it by an admin putting down a scene text at the site, or through admins informing the victim through a PM.

I dont see any reason the above cant be done by an admin though a command such as /damage, And have preset damage sets??

Bozo

Firestarter
Management
Illegal
Ad Supporter
Could we add a system where an admin can add damage to a car?
I don't see why not but I'm not sure how the game would parse that into a visible effect. When you get into some kind of accident, the car generally shows damage where it was impacted. If we just tack on damage, I'm not sure how the car would visually represent this.

I'm tagging in @Moretti so he might give us some input.

Moretti

Head of Development
Management
Developer
Ad Supporter
With alt:V they have a few more damage options we can use, including bullet count which should hopefully work. I've yet to look at this but the vehicle system is my next thing to work on.

I will look at how the sync works with damages when the vehicle has left the area. We might be able to come up with something.